Services Offered: Elder Choices
ElderChoices is Arkansas’ Medicaid home and community-based waiver program designed for the elderly population. ElderChoices, implemented July 1, 1991, is designed for persons who, due to physical, cognitive or medical reasons, require a level of assistance that would have to be provided in a nursing facility, if it were not for the services offered through this program. The program is designed to assist elderly persons reside in their own homes, or live with relatives or caregivers for as long as possible, if that is their choice.
ElderChoices has provided services to more than 13,000 elderly Arkansans since 1991. There are currently 6,368 recipients participating in the program with a statewide total of 276 providers of service. CARE IV provides some of these services in some areas of Arkansas.
The services offered through this program include:
- Adult Day Care – provides for a group program designed to provide care and supervision in a licensed adult day care facility.
- Adult Day Health Care – provides a continuing, organized program of rehabilitative, therapeutic and supportive health and social services and activities in addition to basic day care.
- Adult Foster Care – provides a family living environment for one or two clients who are functionally impaired and are considered to be at imminent risk of death or serious bodily harm and are not capable of living alone.
- Chore – provides heavy cleaning and/or yard and sidewalk maintenance in extreme circumstances, when lack of these services would make the home uninhabitable.
- Homemaker – includes basic upkeep and management of the home and household assistance, such as laundry, essential shopping, errands, household tasks and meal preparation.
- Home Delivered Meals – Nutritious home-delivered meals provided to individuals who are homebound and unable to prepare their own meals.
- Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) – provides an in-home 24-hour electronic alarm system that enables an elderly homebound person to summon help in the event of an emergency.
- Respite – provides temporary relief to persons providing long term care for clients in their homes. It may be provided in and/or outside of the client’s home to meet an emergency need or as periodic scheduled relief from continuous care giving.
In addition to ElderChoices services, waiver recipients may receive other Medicaid covered services such as physician visits, some prescription drugs, personal care and others. A nurse us employed by Elder Choice services who goes out and evaluates every person who requests services.
Need More Information?
If you need more information about the ElderChoices Program or have concerns regarding your ElderChoices services, please call your local DHS County Office or the Division of Aging and Adult Services at 1-800-981-4457, or locally at 501-682-2441 OR Arkansas Relay Service at 1-800-285-1121 (VOICE) OR 1-800-285-1131 (TDD).
Need An Application?
If you would like an application for the ElderChoices Program, please call or visit your local DHS County Office.
Staff available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve needs as they arise.